Thursday, January 1, 2009

My Year of Hopefulness - Make Something That Matters

My friend, Monika, hosted three of us for dinner at her place last night. I can say with certainty that it was the nicest New Year's Eve I've ever spent. Low-key, relaxed, with good friends, good food, and good wine. Though we just turned the page one more day, just like we have ever other day of the year, it did feel different this year. I did feel myself shrug off some sadness, some disappointment, even some anger. As I walked to the subway last night with my friend, Brandi, I was glad to hear I was not alone is feeling of heavy disappointment about the world. 

And then I read Seth Godin's blog post this morning. Apparently, he hates New Year's though he seems to have changed his tune this year, too. He sees a tremendous opportunity this year and I wonder how many of us will rise to the challenge he's laid before us: "The opportunity this year is bigger than ever: to lead change, to create a movement in a direction you want to go. While the rest of your world huddles and holds back, here's a golden chance to use cheap media, available attention, and great talent to make something that matters."    

To that end, I wanted to share a resource given to me by my friend, Linda. Linda is on the board of the Black Culinary Association (BCA), a nonprofit that supports racial minorities entering the culinary world. Linda found BCA after registering her profile on boardnetusa.org, an on-line community that matches up boards seeking members with individuals interested in serving on nonprofit boards. If you'd like to take up Seth Godin's challenge, this resource is a wonderful place to begin your journey. 
 
I'm home today cleaning my apartment to start the New Year off right. I was dusting my bookshelves a few hours ago and came across my copy of Oh, the Places You'll Go. While a little bit cliched at this point, there are a few lines where I always get choked up. It's possible I take our dear friend, Dr. Seuss, too literally. It's also possible that I am a giant sap. "Your mountain is waiting so....get on your way!" always has some special meaning for me. I've been searching for my mountain for a long time now, and while I've climbed a few peaks, looked out over a few vistas, and none of them have been my peaks. I simply borrowed them from someone else for a while, did some good while I was there, and then had to move on. 

In 2009, I'd like to find my mountain, make something that matters. If you've found yours, know that I am insanely jealous and excited for you all at once. It must be a remarkable feeling. If you're like me, still searching, then I hope that 2009 will be your year of great discovery, too. 

No comments: