Wednesday, December 31, 2008

My Year of Hopefulness - Day 1

On December 23, 2008, I began a daily log of acts of kindness after writing a blog post about small moments that made my day. I realized in the 15 minutes that it took me to write that post that I had a very simple New Year’s Resolution: I wanted to feel more hopeful in 2009 and I wanted to do my part to generate more hope for others. From that blog post and simple wish, I am starting an extraordinary year of giving and receiving.

I don't typically write series of articles on this blog. To help me keep my New Year's Resolution, I will be writing a daily blog post, in addition to my other regular posts, about what I am doing to be more hopeful and generate more help for others. It will be a good reminder to me, and I hope that it may do readers some good as well. 

The economy is weighing heavily on people's minds at the start of this year. People are facing layoffs and possibly the bankruptcy of the companies they work for, particularly in certain industries such as retail. As a result, it can be pretty tough to get up for work in the morning. Even if you are lucky enough to keep your job in this downturn, and you are indeed lucky if you're in that boat, there will be added stress as you may be doing the work of two or three people, and being asked to do that work with no additional compensation or resources. 

So what can we do to make that trip out the front door a bit better? This evening I made up a small sign that I taped to the inside of my front door, right by the door knob, that details what I am achieving and working toward at this current job and the good things about my position that I should be grateful for. It will be a good reminder every morning before I head out for work. If you are facing some discomfort in your current job, maybe this tactic will help you as well. 

Happy New Year!

4 comments:

NWO said...

Here's a toast to hope!

Christa said...

Hi NWO - thanks for your toast. Right back at ya! Just took a look at your pics of your trip to Portland - that is a CRAZY amount of snow, especially for a city that gets snow so rarely!

Happy New Year,
Christa

runner52 said...

Happy New Year to you. I look forward to reading what you have to say in 2009

Christa said...

Happy New Year, runner52! Look forward to your comments in 2009.