Friday, January 16, 2009

My Year of Hopefulness - Is Anyone Listening?

Did you ever wonder if anyone, anywhere is listening to you? For the most part, we have no idea how or how much we effect other people unless they are close friends or family. And even then, the effects can go on delayed and unspoken. I promise you though that your actions and words, whether kind or harsh, generous or greedy, heart-felt or hollow, have an impact. 

Someone wrote to me today to share his recent experience. He had read my New Year's resolution to be more hopeful and generate more hope for others. I was worried about putting this message out into the world. Is it melodramatic? Is it just too precious? Is it even possible, necessary, worthwhile, or important? Just as this man was composing a message to me, he heard the news that US Airway Flight 1549. He sent me a message to say that he was inspired by my resolution to do something for those people being rescued from the plane. He grabbed a bunch of wool sweaters and headed down to the river to distribute them to passengers who had no coats and were standing in the freezing cold. 

This post is not meant at all to pat myself on the back for a job well done in the inspiration department. It's just meant to encourage you to put your message out there, no matter what others may think, no matter what you're worried that others may think. Your voice, your story, your actions could change someone's outlook. And if we're going to have any hope of building a better world, we need to start with changing people's outlook.   

3 comments:

runner52 said...

someone is always listening...its just a matter of if they are hearing whats being said...good job

Anonymous said...

I think you should pat yourself on the back for a job well done in the inspiration department. Keep up the good work!

Christa said...

Hi EBP - thanks very much for reading my blog and for your post. So many people inspire me everyday so I'm glad I could do the same for someone else.

-Christa