Monday, January 12, 2009

My Year of Hopefulness - Dress for Success

My mom keeps everything, and I mean EVERYTHING! She has magazine that are older than I am. It drives me nuts, though I there's also something endearing about it. She feels comfortable surrounded by her things. And in these times, who among us couldn't use a little more comfort?

It was with great surprise that my mom emailed me yesterday and asked for a name of an agency that donates business clothes to women who are looking to get jobs in offices though cannot afford appropriate clothing. In some ways, it pains my mom to give away her things and here she is finding a way to make that task less painful by giving away extra clothes to people who need it most. I pointed her to Dress for Success.

I was thinking about this and considering this lesson in my own life. I enjoy waking up early, though I don't enjoy having early morning obligations. However, I'm so excited to volunteer with God's Love We Deliver that I'm willing to be there at 6:30am once a week. What better use could I have for any early morning that packing up meals for people who are in need of them?

It's a good lesson for me to consider. We all have things we don't necessarily like to do, though they may be necessary to do them. The trick is figuring out how to do them in a way that gives joy rather than in a way that causes discomfort.

1 comment:

runner52 said...

Nice thoughts....Domestic Violence Shelters and Drug rehabs for women only can certainly use business clothes. Its hard enough for these women to start life over again. An appropriate set of clothing can go a long way...pass it on to your mom