Thursday, January 29, 2009

Microsoft Could Learn from Google

I've been a Microsoft customer for post of my life. Even though I moved over to Mac about a year ago, and have never looked back, I still bought Microsoft Office for Mac. After looking for closely at Google Docs, I am beginning to think that I may never need another Microsoft product, ever. 

Google runs most of my life - email, this blog, my blog reader, almost any internet search I do, and I'm even thinking of switching to T-Mobile so I can get the Google phone. I've shied away from Google Docs until recently. I'm not sure why. I guess it was just habit to open up Excel or Word, save to my hard drive, and then back up to my external hard drive. 

I've recently signed on with Examiner.com to be one of their business reporters - I'm very excited about the gig and have ideas popping up all the time. It's one of the nice things about being a writer - everything that happens to you, good, bad, or indifferent, is potential material. Most of the time I'm not home, so having documents on my hard drive isn't efficient. I have to write down my ideas on some scrap of paper or email them to myself and then type them into my Excel schedule when I get home. Inefficient and a time waster. And I hate wasting time.

Google Docs is the answer - whether I'm at home, at work, or out and about with my mobile, I can log in, type my ideas right into my writing schedule, and be done. (Well, except for the actual writing.) And they're there for you to connect to, any time, any where. Compatible with windows. You can share the documents with others, if you'd like. And it formats well - very well. I mean why doesn't Excel automatically align column content with the width of the column? And 99% of the time isn't the top row a header row? 

Google observed behavior and made a great product to boot that's easy to use and highly accessible. Microsoft, you have a lot to learn, and Google can teach you.    

No comments: