Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Virtual Bookshelf

This week I finally purchased a set of bookshelves from Crate & Barrel that I've been coveting for a year. They display my books so beautifully that they've become a piece of art. I took a stroll past the shelves this evening, admiring my skills of putting together 9 straight pieces of wood with an Allen wrench and a few screws. I realized that these books aren't just a collection of reference materials or thought-provoking stories. They are a diary of where I've been and interests I've developed over a number of years. They are beloved childhood memories and reminders of very long nights spent in a library, pouring over their pages, while in school. Some are like old friends that I visit again and again for guidance, for strength, for inspiration. 

This morning  read David Churbuck's post about the virtual bookshelf. He loves his Kindle, though he worries that it's destroying perhaps the greatest joy of literature - sharing it. Lending books to people, swapping them with one another, and then discussing their merits. He questions the selfishness that we embrace with our new electronic devices. 

That set me to thinking about how we might combine technology and literature in a win-win, rather than consuming one at the jeopardy of the other. This idea is particularly poignant to me because of a fiction piece I am working on that revolves around this very idea - a children's story that I began after taking a stroll through one of the increasingly rare used book stores in New York City. I love my local Barnes & Noble, though there is something magical in the mustiness of those bookshelves that contain texts far older than me. There is history living in those shelves - those books represent pieces of people's lives, the same way that my books represent mine. 

I don't have any good answers for this conundrum of technology co-existing with literature, though its a question I'll be considering in the days and years to come. I'd love to hear your thoughts and comments if you'd like to share them.     

The photo above can be found at: http://www.likecool.com/Home/Store/Cave%20Bookshelf/Cave-Bookshelf.jpg

3 comments:

runner52 said...

Well done

runner52 said...

Well done

runner52 said...

I am new to blogging and reading blogs, so you may have gotten my message 4, 5 or 6 times...sry