Sunday, December 23, 2007

My Own "Little Chef"

Clearly I have been in my apartment for too long. Yesterday I had what my friend, Ken, and I call a pajama day - as in we spend the entire inside never changing out of our pajamas. Now this doesn't mean I am not being productive - you may be surprised at how much you can get done by never getting properly dressed. I posted to this blog, did some entrepreneurship research, listened to Christmas music, made apple turnovers from scratch, and spent several hours watching episodes of the Gilmore Girls on DVDs.

The trouble with pajama day is that the inertia of it makes it difficult to not have several in a row. I willed myself into the shower this morning. And just as I was making my way to the bathroom door, I spotted Ike - my pet squirrel. I haven't seen him for a while. He spent most of the summer tapping on my window in the middle of the night, annoying the hell out of me. Until he stopped showing up, and then I missed him. There he was this morning, standing up in a corner of the platform outside my window that is supposed to hold an air conditioner. (I am planning to make it into a plant stand when the weather's warmer.) And Ike, unbeknownst to me, has taken over ownership. He's gained a bit of weight - I guess he's been bulking up for winter.

Now this may be my love of the movie Ratatouille coming through - I started to think that I really should be putting out the ends of my bread loaves, etc. for Ike. I mean, I'm not going to eat them and throwing them away just seems silly. This led me to consider what a balanced diet for a squirrel is. Isn't it amazing what you can find on Google: http://www.squirrels.org/facts.html. According to this site, Ike's diet consists of nuts, fruit, seeds, bird eggs, bugs, and animal carcasses. The nuts, fruit, and seeds I can do. He's on his own for the rest.

I am completely aware that this sounds crazy for me to be thinking of Ike as a pet. He's a wild animal - I know that. But until I can have a consistent number of regular pajama days and get a dog, he will have to do. And now, it really is time for me to get out of this apartment and into the world. Ike will mind the ranch while I'm gone.

No comments: