Tuesday, May 20, 2008

My love for sweets is in my genes

I could eat sweets morning, noon, and night and never get sick of them. My sweet of choice: Entenmann's chocolate-covered donuts. I could easily scarf down a box of those in one sitting. I don't (or haven't recently anyway) but it's within my capabilities. I know this isn't good for me. I've tried every trick imaginable to banish my sweet tooth. I am envious of people who claim, "I'm just not that interested in sweets." Until I consider how absolutely delicious sweets are, and then I am grateful that I can get more for myself if others don't like them.

My grandfather was a candy maker and I have always jokingly attributed my love of sweets to my genes. As it turns out, my penchant for sweets is not entirely within my control. There is now scientific proof that my little joke, like most, also holds some truth. In today's Health section of the New York Times, there is mention of a research studies about a gene variant that allows people to process sugar more quickly than those without the gene variant. When studied in two groups of people, those with the gene variant always ate more sugar, though there was no difference in the amount of starch, fat, or protein that was eaten.

All these years, I've been beating up on myself a little for my seemingly endless craving for anything sweet. In actuality, I just happen to have exceptionally gifted genes when it comes to processing sugar. What luck!

No comments: