Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Writing for Life

"Writing is the only thing that, when I do it, I don't feel I should be doing something else."
--Gloria Steinem,American journalist

This quote warms my heart. Countless times I am in the process of doing something and thinking about doing 5 other things that maybe I should be doing instead. I used to believe that this was a neurotic impulse, that my multi-tasking has crossed over from a necessity of high productivity to a bonafide illness. Now I know that's not true - it's just that I preferred to be writing.

For some people a looming paper brings stress and discomfort. For me, it's always generated a sense of calm and well-being. It makes me feel productive and alive. It makes me feel that "all of this" is worth it once I can put it into my writing or into a story. And it shows me the importance of doing something you love, and how that activity can rewire your behavior and thought patterns.

I've heard some people say that making a job out of doing what you love ruins that love. I disagree - I can't imagine how anyone gets though the work day doing something they dislike or "don't really mind" when all the while they'd prefer to be doing something else. What more in life could you ask for than to spend your time doing what you love best?

No comments: