Sunday, November 9, 2008

A time for geniuses

Traditionally, grade A educations have been more prevalent in elite, affluent circles. But the tide may be turning on that trend - Obama could do for high-quality education what Target did for design. He could make it desired by, and possible for, all.

This past week I had lunch one day with a group of people I don't know well. We were discussing the election and one of my lunch companions said, "Who would ever want to be President at a time like this?" This morning, I was watching Meet the Press. Doris Kearns Goodwin, Presidential historian and author of Team of Rivals, quoted Abigail Adams when asked about how Obama will govern with all of the problems he is facing. "These are times that a genius wants to live." If only I had access to that quote during my lunch. 

And the same could be said of anyone who runs any kind of team, any kind of company. The challenge, the fun is rolling up our sleeves when things are messy and in disarray and setting them straight again. It's in the churn that we find our new direction. Abigail Adams was right -- this is a time that a genius wants to live. And I would add, it is also a time when a genius wants to lead. Thank goodness we had the sense and foresight to elect one.      

No comments: