Sunday, March 2, 2008

Build your own road

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it. ~ Alan Kay" 

My friend, Amy, has taken an adventure to Switzerland to work for the UN on a 6-month assignment. Amy is one of those people whom I met and immediately knew we'd be friends forever. She's one of the people in my life who is endlessly supportive and positive. She helps me keep my head on straight no matter what's happening. 

During a conversation several years ago, we talked about the different talents it takes to build your own road versus allowing other people, an employer, a university, etc. o build one for you. "What path are you on?" "What bucket do you fall into?" "What's the career track for that kind of profession?" All common questions, and ones that I never have an answer for. 

Only recently have I found that I have stopped looking for an answer - I'm not on one path, one track, and  don't want to be. I like that in my career I've been able to carve my own way. It's tough for sure, and some people get a bit dizzy when I explain the choices I made, changed industries, geographies, job responsibilities. My one goal was simple: I wanted to learn as much as possible, as quickly as possible.   

In these uncertain times - politically, economically, socially - I've been doing my best to remain as calm and level-headed as possible. It's easy to fall into the trap of planning every move, taking strategy to the extreme. I'm fortunate in that at the moment the only person I need to take care of is me, and I treasure the freedom that my current situation creates. "Where are you going with this experience?" My answer: anywhere I want. 

No comments: