Saturday, December 26, 2009

My Year of Hopefulness - Think of Today

"I never think of the future. It comes soon enough." ~ Albert Einstein

December 26th, forever relegated to its place as 'the day after Christmas'. A lot of people sleep in; many are on vacation; it begins the long, slow slide into the new year. A day of "lull", and well-deserved after the shopping, eating, visiting frenzy induced by December 25th.

Given that Albert Einstein was one of the greatest visionaries to ever live, I'm not sure that his quote above is entirely truthful. He actually thought about the future quite a bit, particularly when it came to his work on General Relativity and the Manhattan Project. What I think he was doing was trying to remind us that if we focus too much on the future we lose sight of the opportunities right in front of us today.

It would be easy and quite understandable to let this week float on by as just the week between Christmas and New Year's. It may even cause some of us to build up some nervousness about the impending new year, or we could just look at 2009 as a lame duck year, almost finished and therefore not worth any more effort. With some creativity, we can still get our much-needed rest and make this week a happy and productive one.

If I learned anything in 2009 it is that our days, all of them, are terrible things to waste. This week I'll curl up on that comfy couch and reach for that magazine or book that's been waiting for me. I can relax and spend time with my family and friends without feeling rushed. I can get my plans in order when it comes to my impending GRE. I'll take time out for yoga every day as preparation for my yoga teacher training class that starts in February. Whoever said that productivity and relaxation had to be mutually exclusive activities?

2 comments:

runner52 said...

Down time takes a lot of preparation. Today I start my own journey of self-improvement...the 2 mile run is done and now its time for the gym......glad you're getting time to relax and visit fmily

Christa said...

Hi runner52! I am excited to hear about what you want to improve going forward. What is your self-improvement goal?