Friday, July 31, 2009

My Year of Hopefulness - The high value of giving

Finally settled into my dear friend, Rob's, apartment for the week, I am feeling an immense sense of calm. As the last of my belongings were expertly ushered out of my old apartment with the greatest of care by the movers, I was doing a little dance of gratitude.

My friend, Dan, was one of the people who recommended Flat Rate Moving to me, and I texted him to ask how much I should tip them. We went back and forth several times about an appropriate amount. Finally, Dan said "In these situations I reason that they need it more than I do, so I round up." I emptied my wallet to double the going industry tip rate (which Dan also looked up for me on the fly, as well as surveying everyone in his office on the spot.) They deserved it.

I swept up the last of the dust bunnies, and grabbed a cab cross-town to Rob's. Given the gridlock traffic, I had a lot of time to think about giving more than the going rate for exceptional circumstances. Whether it's a tip to movers or the amount of time and attention to a valuable friendship, it feels good to give far beyond the usual.

So what if we always gave a little more than what was warranted? A little more care, energy, effort, passion, time, and money? What if we shared beyond what would ever be expected by others? Imagine how much further along we'd be. It seems to me that the only way we're ever going to have a life and a world that's exceptional is to give and give and give again. More than we're asked, and maybe even more than we think we're capable of.

No comments: