Saturday, June 27, 2009

My Year of Hopefulness - Doodle 4 Google

Google put forward a competition, Doodle 4 Google, for kids K-12 to design the Google logo with the idea of expressing the theme "What I Wish for the World". The Cooper-Hewitt Museum currently has the finalists of the competition on display. I went to see them today with my friend, Dan. I'm currently working on an after-school program for public school children and knew that this exhibit would help inform the program. After all, the idea is to discover the way kids would like the world to be.

Several themes cropped up frequently in the doodle: environmental conservation - everything from climate change to species protection to green energy. Even the importance of pets! Creativity, acceptance, and education were also prevalent in the doodles. And some were advocating specific causes such as a cure for breast cancer and an end to war.

As I walked the exhibit, I considered what I would wish for the world and how I might depict it to create my own Google Doodle. If I had one wish for the world, I'd want to see the desire to be helpful become the main goal of every person's life. I like that being helpful is a specific goal that's open to interpretation depending upon each individual's talents and interests.

Being helpful could mean volunteering, going into a helpful profession such as medicine, or being a good listener. It can be done in small spurts or over an extended period of time. It usually doesn't cost anything to be helpful outside of an individual's time and energy. When one person helps another, both their lives are enriched. You can pay it forward, and every act of helpfulness triggers another similar act.

Best of all, helpfulness naturally causes other positive changes in the world that we need in abundance: more kindness, empathy, and generosity. By being helpful, we become useful and we have a hand in shaping the world to be a bit more the way we'd like it to be. In short, the fastest road to a more hopeful, brighter future may start with the extension of a single helping hand.

The images above was created by Sinceraty Alexander for the Doodle 4 Google conference. Sinceraty's image was a New York State finalist.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Yay! Doodle 4 Google! I love the context you wrote around it. I think you should definitely do your own Doodle and post it on your site...it would be fantastic with all of your creativity!

Christa said...

Hey Laura! What a great idea. I think I will make my own Doodle 4 Google :)