Tuesday, October 23, 2007

A place to call happy


The idea of happy-nomics is still lurking around in my mind. I consider it constantly. This week I looked back at my career kaleidoscope that I created from my friend Susan's book, the Right Job Right Now. (It's listed on my blog in "my favorite books" section). And I realized that everything I had been looking for in a job, I found in my current position, and then some. Today I received an email from a woman at company that had interested me while I was still at Darden. Just now, the perfect position at the company had opened up and she wanted to know if I would be interested. I politely declined and offered to send the posting to friends who may know of someone interested. I have never in my life declined an interview. Never. I had arrived at happiness.

So just when I have it all figured out, and I smiling very proud of myself of how well I'd chosen my current job, how wise I had become since my last full-time job, I read a quote by Sydney H. Harris. "Happiness is a direction, not a place." So while yes I am moving along the path of happiness, I will not actually ever get to some place called "Happy Land". I may be skipping down Happy Lane right now, though if there anything in this world that is certain, it is change. This was a far deeper discovery than I ever thought I'd find in 7 small words.

Though in some ways, this also takes the pressure off. I am always hoping to arrive at Happy Land, Inner Peace Land, Satisfaction Land. It's true in my relationships, in my career, even in my search for a home. Isn't it easier to discover a general direction rather than a specific place. The best we can hope for is to be on the road of happiness and where it's going is any one's guess. It could be going to many different places. There's no such thing as "I've arrived." What we should be thrilled to find is "I'm going the right way for me, right now."

No comments: