Saturday, July 7, 2007

Sicko

As a general rule I avoid politics. My first job out of undergrad was working as a Legislative Assistant for a Congressman in Wahsington D.C. My first day on the job, the Monica Lewinsky scndal broke and the issue I covered for the Congressman was "executive branch activities". A total nightmare.

Yesterday was the first time I registered with a political party (previously I was the registered as an ever-mysterious NE - non-enrolled.) However, given the importance of the upcoming presidential primaries, I felt I had to be a part of that. I finally had to stand for something in politics. I believe we are about to witness possibly the greatest turning point the executive branch of this nation has ever seen.

It is with this new found spirit of activism that I went to see the movie Sicko, Michael Moore's latest creation. I've never seen one of his films, largely because they are so political in nature. This one was not partisan - it was raising the alarm on what's happening in our nation's health care system. And it's frightening. It would be comical if it weren't so true and so sad. Moore made me laugh, and then he made me think. Why does nearly every other developed nation, and many not so developed, have better health care than we do? Why do prisoners in Guantanamo Bay, many of them known terrorists, have better health care than most working class people in this country? Cuba itself has a better system than we do? Given our abundant wealth, how is that possible?

I won't give away parts of the movie because I hope everyone who reads this blog will see the film. If you have even the slightest bit of interest in health or health care, please see the film. Because I just graduated from business school, I am obsessed with efficiency and incentive structures. We've got it all wrong here in the U.S. We reward insurance companies, hospital, and even doctors themselves to provide as little care as possible in order to take costs out of the system. For all the talk about a "paperless" office, there are more and more forms every day that we must fill out in order to receive even mediocre care.

Moore sounds the alarm with humor and solid research. And I hope it's an alarm that will be heard 'round the country by the people who can make a difference.

No comments: